The University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS) is the world’s northernmost higher education institution, located in Longyearbyen at 78º N. We provide research-based education of the next generation of Arctic experts in biology, geology, geophysics and technology.
- ARCeX – Research Centre for Arctic Petroleum Exploration
- Arctic Safety Centre
- bioCEED – Centre for Excellence in Biology Education
- Birkeland Centre for Space Science
- Kjell Henriksen Observatory
- LYSEF – Longyearbyen Science and Education Forum
- SIOS – Svalbard Integrated Arctic Earth Observing System
- The Norwegian Scientific Academy for Polar Research
- UNIS CO2 Lab
22 March 2016 If you are longing for sea ice, the development so far is indeed depressing. This winter is unusually warm in Svalbard and we may face the largest failure in sea ice formation in West-Spitsbergen ever, according to scientists from UNIS and the Murmansk Marine Biological Institute.
Longyearbyen live – 360 degree panorama
Live web camera from the roof of Svalbard Science Centre: