The University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS) is the world’s northernmost higher education institution, located in Longyearbyen at 78º N. We provide research-based education of the next generation of Arctic experts in biology, geology, geophysics and technology.
- ARCeX – Research Centre for Arctic Petroleum Exploration
- Arctic Safety Centre
- bioCEED – Centre for Excellence in Biology Education
- Birkeland Centre for Space Science
- Kjell Henriksen Observatory
- LYSEF – Longyearbyen Science and Education Forum
- SIOS – Svalbard Integrated Arctic Earth Observing System
- The Norwegian Scientific Academy for Polar Research
- UNIS CO2 Lab
1 December 2016 The International Permafrost Association (IPA) and The University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS) are pleased to announce that the IPA Secretariat will be officially located and hosted at UNIS from 1 December 2016 until 2020.
11 November 2016 Want to study in Svalbard next spring? We have extended application deadline for some courses in Arctic Geophysics and Arctic Technology. Apply now – first come, first serve!
Longyearbyen live – 360 degree panorama
Live web camera from the roof of Svalbard Science Centre: