The University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS) is the world’s northernmost higher education institution, located in Longyearbyen at 78º N. We provide research-based education of the next generation of Arctic experts in biology, geology, geophysics and technology.
- ARCeX – Research Centre for Arctic Petroleum Exploration
- Arctic Safety Centre
- bioCEED – Centre for Excellence in Biology Education
- Birkeland Centre for Space Science
- Kjell Henriksen Observatory
- LYSEF – Longyearbyen Science and Education Forum
- The Nansen Legacy
- The Norwegian Scientific Academy for Polar Research
- SIOS – Svalbard Integrated Arctic Earth Observing System
- UNIS CO2 Lab
6 September 2019 In July 1873 some nets were put out by whalers in Raudfjorden in Svalbard, to obtain food. They had expected to catch Arctic char, but ended up filling the nets with cod.
UNIS is the world’s northernmost higher education institution, located in Longyearbyen, at the High Arctic archipelago of Svalbard (78º N). UNIS offers high quality courses at the undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate level in Arctic Biology, Arctic Geology, Arctic Geophysics and Arctic Technology.
Longyearbyen live – 360 degree panorama
Live web camera from the roof of Svalbard Science Centre: