The University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS) is the world’s northernmost higher education institution, located in Longyearbyen at 78º N. We provide research-based education of the next generation of Arctic experts in biology, geology, geophysics and technology.
- ARCeX – Research Centre for Arctic Petroleum Exploration
- Arctic Safety Centre
- bioCEED – Centre for Excellence in Biology Education
- Birkeland Centre for Space Science
- Kjell Henriksen Observatory
- LYSEF – Longyearbyen Science and Education Forum
- SIOS – Svalbard Integrated Arctic Earth Observing System
- The Norwegian Scientific Academy for Polar Research
- UNIS CO2 Lab
25 August 2017 Snow crab has been found in Raudfjorden in northern Spitsbergen for the first time. The speed of which it spreads indicates that it soon will be found along the western coast of Svalbard. Does this mean that a new source of income is literally crabbing in to Longyearbyen?
Longyearbyen live – 360 degree panorama
Live web camera from the roof of Svalbard Science Centre: