The University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS) is the world’s northernmost higher education institution, located in Longyearbyen at 78º N. We provide research-based education of the next generation of Arctic experts in biology, geology, geophysics and technology.
- ARCeX – Research Centre for Arctic Petroleum Exploration
- Arctic Safety Centre
- bioCEED – Centre for Excellence in Biology Education
- Birkeland Centre for Space Science
- Kjell Henriksen Observatory
- LYSEF – Longyearbyen Science and Education Forum
- SIOS – Svalbard Integrated Arctic Earth Observing System
- The Norwegian Scientific Academy for Polar Research
- UNIS CO2 Lab
13 December 2017 From 2018, UNIS will be a part of the same merit system for teaching as the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences at the University of Bergen. This represents a new way of acknowledging quality in teaching and learning efforts.
12 December 2017 After a comprehensive mid-term evaluation, NOKUT (the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education) has decided that CEMPE, bioCEED and MatRIC can continue as a Centres of Excellence in Education.
Article from the UNIS Library: Receiving offers from publishers and journals to publish papers is not always a good thing. Unfortunately there is an increasing number of fake publishers charging researchers a processing fee to publish in worthless journals. Here are some tips on how to avoid these journals. Tips Ask your colleagues if they […]
Longyearbyen live – 360 degree panorama
Live web camera from the roof of Svalbard Science Centre: