The University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS) is the world’s northernmost higher education institution, located in Longyearbyen at 78º N. We provide research-based education of the next generation of Arctic experts in biology, geology, geophysics and technology.
- ARCeX – Research Centre for Arctic Petroleum Exploration
- Arctic Safety Centre
- bioCEED – Centre for Excellence in Biology Education
- Birkeland Centre for Space Science
- iEarth – Centre for Integrated Earth Science Education
- Kjell Henriksen Observatory
- LYSEF – Longyearbyen Science and Education Forum
- The Nansen Legacy
- The Norwegian Scientific Academy for Polar Research
- SIOS – Svalbard Integrated Arctic Earth Observing System
- UNIS CO2 Lab
27 July 2020 Most of us have in recent months experienced that life has changed, with perhaps isolation and quarantine, which can feel traumatic. At UNIS, all undergraduate students were encouraged to go home, teaching switched from on-campus to digital teaching and courses were cancelled. For a long time, all entry to Svalbard was closed. But some creatures keep on travelling, whether they want to or not. Others, once again, experience a more severe isolation than being stuck on an island for months.
#UniSvalbard – the world's northernmost higher education institution, located in Longyearbyen, Svalbard. Find your course here:
UNIS is the world’s northernmost higher education institution, located in Longyearbyen, at the High Arctic archipelago of Svalbard (78º N). UNIS offers high quality courses at the undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate level in Arctic Biology, Arctic Geology, Arctic Geophysics and Arctic Technology.
Longyearbyen live – 360 degree panorama
Live web camera from the roof of Svalbard Science Centre: