All students admitted to UNIS courses (or having a valid agreement as “guest bachelor/master/PhD student” at UNIS) may apply for housing.
- The student housing facilities in Longyearbyen are owned and administered by Samskipnaden.
- Applications for housing are processed continuously for applicants that can show that they have been admitted to UNIS courses or have a signed guest student contract.
- The student housing is located at Elvesletta in the centre of Longyearbyen, a 5-7 minutes walk from UNIS.
- Your address in Longyearbyen (if living at Elvesletta): Your name, P.O. Box 394, N-9171 Longyearbyen, Norway.
More information about housing (tenancy agreement, pictures, booking, etc.) is found at Samskipnaden’s site.
When to apply for accommodation
- You need to apply for accommodation as soon as you have been admitted and you will find a link to the housing application in the admission letter you receive from UNIS.
- You cannot apply for accommodation unless you have been accepted for one or more courses at UNIS, or you have a valid agreement as a “guest bachelor/master/PhD student” at UNIS.
- Please note that UNIS does not reserve or offer student accommodation.
The monthly rent at Elvesletta is currently:
- Single rooms (12 m²): NOK 5.300 per month
- 1-room flats (27 sq m²): NOK 9.200 per month
- 2-room flats (34 sq m²): NOK 11.300 per month.
The rent includes electricity and Wifi.
There is no tuition fee at UNIS, but in order to do a course at UNIS all students must pay a semester fee of NOK 670. Students already registered at a Norwegian institution will receive an invoice from their home institution, whereas new students receive a semester fee invoice from the Study Administration at UNIS directly after their arrival.
Students partaking in a scientific cruise or excursion which lasts overnight, must pay a board and lodging fee of NOK 200 per day. The fee must be paid in the UNIS reception prior to the excursion(s).
The cost of living in Svalbard is approximately the same as in the rest of Norway. Stipulated costs for accommodation and food is approximately NOK 10 000 per month. All travel expenses to and from Longyearbyen must be paid by the student.
Students are expected to finance their studies and stay in Longyearbyen. UNIS offers no financial aid or scholarships to Norwegian or international students. Norwegian students can apply for grants and loans from the Statens Lånekasse.
It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the appropriate types of insurance, and that your insurance is valid in Svalbard. This applies to travel, accident and health insurance. UNIS students are not insured while in the Svalbard Science Centre (UNIS building) taking classes, studying, working in the laboratories or during leisure time in general (at UNIS or elsewhere in Svalbard).
UNIS has an accident insurance during UNIS field activities, that covers a single payment of 15G (G=Norwegian National Insurance Scheme basic amount, NOK 93 634 per 1 May 2017) in case of 100% invalidity. For those who are members of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme (Norsk Folketrygd), this insurance also covers treatment cost up to NOK 50 000. This insurance only applies when students are properly registered in the field log before leaving UNIS.
Welfare / Health care
Do you need a doctor or appointment at a dentist?
Contact the hospital at +47 7902 4200 (or 113 for medical emergency) or the dentist at +47 79 02 30
In need of someone to talk to?
The Student Counselling Centre in Tromsø provides counselling via Skype, free of charge, regarding psychological and social challenges. Read more about student counselling here.
Contact point when UNIS is closed
UNIS is open Monday to Friday from 08:00 until 15:30.
After hours you may reach the UNIS on duty person on +47 95 28 35 11