Persons hiking in winter, Trollsteinen outside Longyearbyen. Photo: Njål Gulbrandsen
Students hiking to Trollsteinen in October. Photo: Njål Gulbrandsen

Spending parts of your Bachelor/Master/PhD studies at UNIS?

A student who has been accepted or will be accepted into a Bachelor, Master, or PhD programme at his/her home educational institution may apply to complete (parts of) the study (fieldwork/thesis) at UNIS. This requires an academic contact person at UNIS and a separate application to UNIS.

For the autumn semester 2020, UNIS allocates a student scholarship of NOK 5000 for each month a guest master student is present at UNIS in the period July to December 2020. The financial support will be distributed monthly and not in advance. Please contact the Student Administration at UNIS for more information: or +47 79 02 33 00.

Below is a list of available Master projects – if interested please feel free to contact the academic staff listed. The application form can be downloaded at the bottom of the page.

Arctic Biology Master projects:

Topic UNIS supervisor
Polyploidy as evolutionary mechanism: Somatic origin of autopolyploidy? Associate professor Pernille B. Eidesen
Polyploidy as evolutionary mechanism: Resource allocation and photosynthetic capacity among ploidy levels along environmental gradients Associate professor Pernille B. Eidesen
The flower – pollinator interplay: Impact of pollinator guild on efficient outcrossing Associate professor Pernille B. Eidesen
Effects of experimental icing on tundra plants and their soil conditions Associate professor Pernille B. Eidesen


Arctic Geology Master projects:

The unique geology of Svalbard and its present-day cryosphere provide superb opportunities to study geoscience. The Arctic Geology department supervises bachelor-, master and PhD theses in geology and physical geography with a special focus on using Svalbard as a field laboratory. We do this in collaboration with all the Norwegian universities, but also with many universities around the world, so fitting to the different conditions of doing a thesis as regulated by your home university.

You will best get an overview of the specific scientific fields that we supervise theses within by studying the academic content and learning outcomes of the courses we offer. We recommend students to be directly involved in developing their thesis project together with us as supervisors. Therefore, please contact our scientific staff if you like to develop a bachelor, master or PhD thesis study with us. Clearly almost all of the bachelor and master students that we supervise have taken courses at UNIS and in this way got inspired to do thesis work with us as well.

Topic UNIS supervisor
Geothermal modelling Associate professor Kim Senger
Odellfjellet alluvial fans Associate professor Kim Senger
Structural restoration of Carboniferous basins Associate professor Kim Senger
Fracture modelling from DOMs Associate professor Kim Senger
High-resolution DOMs of outcrops in “log strips”, mm-scale Associate professor Kim Senger
Svalbox – enhancing GIS capabilities Associate professor Kim Senger
High-resolution XRF and close-range photogrammetry characterization of cap rock Associate professor Kim Senger
Seismic modelling of Botneheia dyke Associate professor Kim Senger
Digital field tools for structural measurements Associate professor Kim Senger
Resistivity-TOC-maturity of organic-rich shales Associate professor Kim Senger
Igneous intrusions in southern Dickson Land – geochemistry, geochronology and geometry Associate professor Kim Senger
Gravity-magnetic-MT Associate professor Kim Senger
Flares, pockmarks and terrestrial seeps – correlating seeps to organic-rich units around Isfjorden and Svalbard Associate professor Kim Senger
Temporal geotechnical geophysics (ERT + GPR) to establish seasonal variation in coastal permafrost behaviour – useful for understanding permafrost as a secondary seal Associate professor Kim Senger
ERT and forward EM modelling of an igneous intrusion and contact aureole at Botneheia Associate professor Kim Senger


Arctic Geophysics Master projects:

Topic Contact person
Energetic particle precipitation during high-latitude substorms (see PDF for description) Associate professor Noora Partamies

Print Friendly, PDF & Email