My field is evolutionary ecology, with particular attention to how seasonality shapes ecological processes and evolutionary adaptations. Central topics include: Life history theory, Phenology, Behavioral ecology, Population dynamics, Trophic interactions, Ecosystem connections & Ecological and evolutionary modelling.
You can visit the Seasonal Ecology Group for more information on the work I do together with students and collaborators. Publications and research interests are also available on my ARCTOS network profile.
I am in the steering group of bioCEED, a Centre of Excellence in Education, and I lead the work package on Efficient leadership of education.
A video of a talk on one part of my work – the ecological consequences of sea ice changes in the Arctic.
Some selected publications:
- Burr ZM, Varpe Ø, Anker-Nilssen T, Erikstad KE et al. 2016. Later at higher latitudes: large-scale variability in seabird breeding timing and synchronicity. Ecosphere 7(5): e01283 full text
- Ejsmond MJ, Varpe Ø, Czarnołęski M, Kozłowski J 2015. Seasonality in offspring value and trade-offs with growth explain capital breeding. American Naturalist 186: E111-E125 abstract
- Varpe Ø, Daase M, Kristiansen T. 2015. A fish-eye view on the new Arctic lightscape. ICES Journal of Marine Science 72: 2532-2538 pdf
- Ji R, Jin M, Varpe Ø. 2013. Sea ice phenology and timing of primary production pulses in the Arctic Ocean. Global Change Biology 19: 734-741 abstract
- Varpe Ø. 2012. Fitness and phenology: annual routines and zooplankton adaptations to seasonal cycles. Journal of Plankton Research 34: 267-276 pdf
- Varpe Ø, Fiksen Ø. 2010. Seasonal plankton-fish interactions: light regime, prey phenology, and herring foraging. Ecology. 91: 311-318 pdf
- Varpe Ø. 2010. Stealing bivalves from common eiders: kleptoparasitism by glaucous gulls in spring. Polar Biology. 33: 359-365 pdf
- Varpe Ø, Jørgensen C, Tarling GA, Fiksen Ø. 2009. The adaptive value of energy storage and capital breeding in seasonal environments. Oikos 118: 363-370. pdf
- Varpe Ø, Jørgensen C, Tarling GA, Fiksen Ø. 2007. Early is better: seasonal egg fitness and timing of reproduction in a zooplankton life-history model. Oikos 116: 1331-1342 pdf
- Varpe Ø, Fiksen Ø, Slotte A. 2005. Meta-ecosystems and biological energy transport from ocean to coast: the ecological importance of herring migration. Oecologia 146: 443-451 pdf
- Varpe Ø, Tveraa T, Folstad I. 2004. State-dependent parental care in the Antarctic petrel: responses to manipulated chick age during early chick rearing. Oikos 106 (3) 479-488 pdf
full list of publications here
Øystein Varpe in UNIS news:
21.07.2016: Birds on top of the world, with nowhere to go
31.03.2016: Freezing plants to predict the fate of the Arctic
04.05.2015: Øystein Varpe named Fulbright Arctic Initiative Scholar
20.11.2014: Wild weather in the Arctic causes problems
23.07.2009: Unique data collection throughout the Arctic year
22.05.2009: Ecological detective work
30.09.2008: Effects of climate change on the Arctic marine fauna